Youth – Be Streetwise and Cyber Smart
Criminals are just waiting for you to make the wrong move. Once your identity is gone, you don’t get it back. For teens and tweens iDcare encourages you to be cyber aware, so we’ve developed a simple must do list.
Check before you click – ask yourself am I comfortable with the information I’m about to share online? You’ve got to assume someone else is able to access what you share for criminal purposes. You may not know this, but here are some common questions people post online not knowing they also happen to be common security questions:
- What was your first pet’s name?
- What was your first school?
- What is the first name of your best friend?
- When were you born?
- Where were you born?
- What’s your Mum’s maiden name?
DON’T VOLUNTEER THIS INFORMATION!
- Don’t accept the default – use the highest security settings you can, not just the default settings that encourage cookies and other ways you can be tracked online.
- Create strong and regularly updated Passwords.
- Run your scans and updates often.
- Ask if you’re unsure. It’s not cool to keep quiet if you have concerns about security and your set up. Talk to your friends and family.
- Ensure you do all the above for all connected devices (smart phones, tablets, laptops and computers).
Socialising online is a great way to keep connected. There are some pretty fundamental things you need to consider to protect you, your friends and your family. What you do online has the potential to impact your entire network of friends and connections. Following our must do list will reduce the risk to yourself and others.
Want to know how vulnerable you are to identity theft? Take the Privacy Awareness Week ID Theft Test today to see how you are assessed on the exposure to identity theft: http://privacyawarenessweek.org/resources/id-theft-tool/
Resources for Parents and Teachers:
- Make cyber awareness a priority to protect your kids and students from putting themselves and others at risk. Give your kids road sense on the information super highway.
- Not confident about knowing the latest terms and practices? Here’s a cheat sheet that may help you.
- Stay Smart Online Budd:E resources on Cyber Security (https://budd-e.cybersmart.gov.au/)