- When you post a photo or video on Instagram, it will be displayed on your profile.
- Instagram is a great networking tool, but can be exploited to access private photos, geo-locate, delete photos, edit comments and post new photos.
- An Instagram account can be directly linked to a Facebook account.
- Using hashtags on Instagram posts will enhance a user’s engagement. A hashtag improves user’s chances of having their photo seen by other users who do not directly follow them.
- Don’t post information, photos or videos you wouldn’t want made public.
- Always use strong and unique passwords.
- Enable personal verification as a tool if you forget your password.
- Do not allow access to 3rd party apps that may collect your information.
- Keep backups of your posts if they are important to you or your business.
- Unfollow or block those that threaten your wellbeing.
- Disable geolocation on posts, tailored ads and others ability to tag you in photos.
- Use a “link checker” service to ensure all links are safe before clicking!
- Use private accounts so that only those who you permit can see your content.
Detection & Response
- Your account is leaving comments or sharing things that you haven’t posted.
- Without acting, your account starts to follow people you don’t know and also like their images.
- There are images on your account which you KNOW aren’t yours.
- You don’t have access to your account anymore and you are 100% sure that you’re using the right password and it’s not a technical glitch.
- If your registered Instagram account email was changed, there should be an email from Instagram confirming that you’ve changed your email.
- Click the link attached to the email to revert your account back to the original email address.
- If you don’t have this email, do a passwordreset to reset the password to your original emailaccount.
- If you don’t get this email reset your password then report your account as being compromised to Instagram.
- Inform Instagram immediately if your account has been compromised by going to their Help Centre (see https://help.instagram.com).
For more information on social media security. Please see our other Social Media Fact Sheets.
download fact sheet
Disclaimer © 2018 Copyright Identity Care Australia & New Zealand Ltd. While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information in this FACT SHEET, IDCARE disclaims any liability to any person in respect to any actions performed or not performed as a result of the contents of the alert or any accompanying data provided. Note our service is free to the community and our Counsellors will never ask you to provide your personal information and credentials if we make contact with you.