A suppression does not impact your current credit cards or loans unless credit is due for renewal (IE. credit card about to expire).
A suppression with Equifax and Centrix is initially valid for 20 days, illion is valid for 10days. An extension may be provided as long as you are able to provide ‘evidence’ supporting that you are (or are at risk of becoming) a victim of fraud. In most cases this will require you to show that you have one of the following: a police report number, confirmation from a credit provider, or a netsafe.org.nz report number.
Please note: you will need to apply for suppression's with all 3 CRA’s
- illion and
- Equifax & Centrix: 20 days (can be extended indefinitely)
- illion: 10 days (can be extended indefinitely)
Applying for a Suppression
- Equifax: Please go to: Placing a suppression with Equifax and fill in and submit the form. Once submitted, Equifax will email you to let you know the suppression is in place.
- illion: Email “firstname.lastname@example.org“ and attach the suppression application form. You will also need to provide a copy of a government issued photo ID such as a Driver Licence or Passport. You will also need to provide a copy of a utility bill or bank statement, which includes your name and current address (more information on suppression application form). When emailing, mention you are requesting a suppression as you have been (or may become) a victim of identity theft.
- Centrix: Email “email@example.com“ and attach a completed suppression application form. You will also need to provide a copy of your Driver Licence or Passport. When emailing, mention you are requesting a suppression as you have been (or may become) a victim of identity theft.
Applying for an Extension
- All suppressions can be extended indefinitely upon request.
- An extension needs to be applied for PRIOR to the expiry date. It is recommended you set a reminder a few days prior to the initial suppression period ending (ie 6 days before).
- You will be required to provide a ‘reason’ for the extension IE: you have been subject to a compromise or theft of your personal identity information.
- You will also be required to provide a police report number in order to validate your request.
How to extend your suppression
- Equifax: Please call 0800 698 332. You MUST provide the PIN number emailed to you after your initial request.
- Illion: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your request. Attach another completed suppression application form and tick ‘Extension Request’.
- Centrix: Please email email@example.com with your request or call 0800 236874. You MUST provide the PIN number emailed to you after your initial request.
For more information on fraud and suppressions please go to the;
Identity Care Australia & New Zealand Ltd (IDCARE) provides identity and cyber security incident response services (the Services) in accordance with the following disclaimer of service:
IDCARE is Australia and New Zealand’s national identity and cyber incident community support service. We are a not-for-profit charity.
- The Services provide do not constitute legal advice. IDCARE recommends that you consult a solicitor in relation to your legal rights and obligations, including but not limited to your legal rights or obligations under Australian and international privacy and data protection laws.
- While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information in this product or service, to the maximum extent permitted by law all conditions, terms, representations, and warranties (in each case, whether express or implied) in connection with the provision of the Services which might otherwise be binding upon IDCARE are excluded.
- IDCARE’S liability for any loss or damage suffered by any person or organisation (including, without limitation, any direct, indirect or consequential loss or damage) arising out of or in connection with the Services (including without limitation liability for any negligent act or omission, or statement, representation or misrepresentation of any officers, employees, agents, contractors or consultants of IDCARE) shall be limited to the fees paid by you to IDCARE in respect of the Services. For the avoidance of doubt, this limitation of liability extends to any liability arising from any actions performed or not performed as a result of any recommendations made in course of providing the Services.
- The Services provided by IDCARE are intended to be provided solely to the initial recipient of this document or service and IDCARE will not be liable to any other person who may receive this document.
While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information in this alert, IDCARE disclaims any liability to any person in respect to any actions performed or not performed as a result of the contents of the the Services or any accompanying data provided. Wider dissemination may be permitted by authority in writing from IDCARE’s Managing Director. If you would like to provide feedback please use our Feedback Form.