A suppression does not impact your current credit cards or loans unless credit is due for renewal (IE. credit card about to expire).
A suppression with Equifax and illion is initially valid for 10 days, Centrix is valid for 20 days. An extension may be provided as long as you are able to provide ‘evidence’ supporting that you are (or are at risk of becoming) a victim of fraud. In most cases this will require you to show that you have one of the following: a police report number, confirmation from a credit provider, or a netsafe.org.nz report number.
Please note: you will need to apply for suppression's with all 3 CRA’s
- illion and
For more information on fraud and bans please go to the;
Applying for a Suppression
- Equifax: Phone 0800 698 332 (8:30am - 5pm). They will guide you through their process. Please be aware that Equifax may try to up-sell one of their paid products as a substitute for a free suppression.
- illion: Email “email@example.com“ and attach the suppression application form. You will also need to provide a copy of a government issued photo ID such as a Driver Licence or Passport. You will also need to provide a copy of a utility bill or bank statement, which includes your name and current address (more information on suppression application form). When emailing, mention you are requesting a suppression as you have been (or may become) a victim of identity theft.
- Centrix: Email “firstname.lastname@example.org“ and attach the suppression application form. You will also need to provide a copy of your Driver Licence of Passport. When emailing, mention you are requesting a suppression as you have been (or may become) a victim of identity theft.
Applying for an Extension
- An extension needs to be applied for PRIOR to the expiry date. It is recommended you set a reminder a few days prior to the initial suppression period ending (ie 6 days before).
- You may receive an email from each of the CRA’s telling you the suppression period is about to expire.
- You may directly respond to the email by saying you want to extend the suppression or create a new one and remember to state your customer number.
- You will be required to provide a ‘reason’ for the extension IE: you have been subject to a compromise or theft of your personal identity information.
- You will also be required to provide either a police report number in order to validate your request.
Ban Extension Periods
- Lengths of time a suppression may be extended varies:
- Centrix will allow an individual to extend for any length of time IE: 12 months or indefinitely. Please email email@example.com with your request.
- Illion will allow an individual to extend for any length of time IE: 12 months or indefinitely. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your request. Attach another completed suppression application form and tick ‘Extension Request’.
- Equifax will only allow extensions for 3 months at a time.
Identity Care Australia & New Zealand Ltd (IDCARE) provides identity and cyber security incident response services (the Services) in accordance with the following disclaimer of service:
IDCARE is Australia and New Zealand’s national identity and cyber incident community support service. We are a not-for-profit charity.
- The Services provide do not constitute legal advice. IDCARE recommends that you consult a solicitor in relation to your legal rights and obligations, including but not limited to your legal rights or obligations under Australian and international privacy and data protection laws.
- While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information in this product or service, to the maximum extent permitted by law all conditions, terms, representations, and warranties (in each case, whether express or implied) in connection with the provision of the Services which might otherwise be binding upon IDCARE are excluded.
- IDCARE’S liability for any loss or damage suffered by any person or organisation (including, without limitation, any direct, indirect or consequential loss or damage) arising out of or in connection with the Services (including without limitation liability for any negligent act or omission, or statement, representation or misrepresentation of any officers, employees, agents, contractors or consultants of IDCARE) shall be limited to the fees paid by you to IDCARE in respect of the Services. For the avoidance of doubt, this limitation of liability extends to any liability arising from any actions performed or not performed as a result of any recommendations made in course of providing the Services.
- The Services provided by IDCARE are intended to be provided solely to the initial recipient of this document or service and IDCARE will not be liable to any other person who may receive this document.
While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information in this alert, IDCARE disclaims any liability to any person in respect to any actions performed or not performed as a result of the contents of the alert or any accompanying data provided. Wider dissemination may be permitted by authority in writing from IDCARE’s Managing Director. If you would like to provide feedback please use our Feedback Form.