Why do I need a Credit Report?
A credit report is a means to assess whether someone has attempted to obtain credit in your name. A yearly credit report is also a way you may monitor your file to ensure no errors are on your report. Errors may look like enquiries organisations have made about your credit you can’t explain.
Please note: If you request your credit report, your current contact details will then become available to any lenders, creditors or debt collectors who check your report.
How do I obtain a Free Credit Report?
- Request a free credit report from ALL relevant agencies as some may gather credit information others have missed.
- The following links will take you to an application form for each of the Credit Reporting Agencies (CRA’s). You will be required to fill these out, provide ID information, and email all as attachments directly to the relevant agency (email addresses are listed on each form):
- Equifax (formerly Veda)
- illion (formerly Dun & Bradstreet)
Please note: If a compromise event only just happened, it is recommended that you wait a week before applying for the reports.
If you would like help understanding the process or need assistance in obtaining or interpreting your credit report please contact IDCARE.
Under what circumstance will I need to pay for a Credit Report?
- If you require an urgent credit report – this will incur a fee. Free credit reports may take up to 10 working days (illion and Centrix) and up to 20 working days with Equifax)
- If you have already obtained a report from the same credit reporting body within a twelve month period.
- Please note: If there is evidence of fraudulent activity on your record, you may be entitled to a free report more frequently than once a year.
What if my identity has been compromised?
- If there is risk that your identity may be fraudulently used, or has already been used, it is recommended that a ban be placed on your credit file (see fact sheet – Suppressions New Zealand).
- Report the matter to police or the ORB, and notify your financial institution(s).
- Change passwords for all online accounts (especially your email accounts, banking & government agencies).
- Any fraudulent access to your file needs to be addressed, even enquiries that were not approved. Contact the organisation where the misuse has occurred to begin an investigation.
Identity Care Australia & New Zealand Ltd (IDCARE) provides identity and cyber security incident response services (the Services) in accordance with the following disclaimer of service:
IDCARE is Australia and New Zealand’s national identity and cyber incident community support service. We are a not-for-profit charity.
- The Services provide do not constitute legal advice. IDCARE recommends that you consult a solicitor in relation to your legal rights and obligations, including but not limited to your legal rights or obligations under Australian and international privacy and data protection laws.
- While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information in this product or service, to the maximum extent permitted by law all conditions, terms, representations, and warranties (in each case, whether express or implied) in connection with the provision of the Services which might otherwise be binding upon IDCARE are excluded.
- IDCARE’S liability for any loss or damage suffered by any person or organisation (including, without limitation, any direct, indirect or consequential loss or damage) arising out of or in connection with the Services (including without limitation liability for any negligent act or omission, or statement, representation or misrepresentation of any officers, employees, agents, contractors or consultants of IDCARE) shall be limited to the fees paid by you to IDCARE in respect of the Services. For the avoidance of doubt, this limitation of liability extends to any liability arising from any actions performed or not performed as a result of any recommendations made in course of providing the Services.
- The Services provided by IDCARE are intended to be provided solely to the initial recipient of this document or service and IDCARE will not be liable to any other person who may receive this document.
While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information in this alert, IDCARE disclaims any liability to any person in respect to any actions performed or not performed as a result of the contents of the alert or any accompanying data provided. Wider dissemination may be permitted by authority in writing from IDCARE’s Managing Director. If you would like to provide feedback please use our Feedback Form.